There are a lot of complications involved when driving under adverse weather conditions. Rain makes road slicker not only because of water but also due to oils and other substances, making the likelihood of vehicular accidents higher during these times. However, pedestrians are also more likely to fall victim to vehicles in this condition, especially if a driver is being careless.
To avoid facing a Los Angeles Pedestrian Accident Lawyer and an accident claim, here are some tips that drivers can take note of.
- The most important thing to remember when driving in the rain is to do it more carefully. It’s best to start slowing down already even if the rain is just starting to come or pour heavily. Aside from slippery roads, another problem with rain is the mist or fog that comes with it, which can very well affect the driver’s visibility.
- Slowing down early is also a good opportunity for you to check your brakes. Brakes are prone to failing when they are saturated, which often happens after crossing a deep puddle of water or flood. But make sure that no one is behind you when doing it to know if they are operating properly.
- Make sure your windshield wipers are doing fine, because you will need to use it throughout the trip. Turn it up to a high speed to avoid impaired vision.
- Turn up the lights as well, especially when driving at night. Bright lights will provide you with a wider and higher field of vision, enabling you to see any pedestrians who may be crossing, or who may suddenly dart out.
- It’s also a good idea to “watch for shapes and not for colors” when driving in the rain. Low light and rainfall may gray out a driver’s vision, but silhouettes of pedestrians and other objects on the road are still recognizable even from afar.
- Slow down when approaching commercial areas, or locations around where a lot of people are expected to be present.
- Learn how to drive defensively. You may find yourself riding on roads without sidewalks, so stay vigilant even if you have the “right of way.” Learn also what do in the event that a collision does happen.
A Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorney can help a victim of pedestrian accident, or any road accident for that matter, to recover compensation from the negligent party. Call Mesriani Law Group at (310) 826-6300 to get a help from an expert lawyer now.