The year 2008 showed the start of the decrease in the number of fatal large truck accidents in the United States.
In previous years, the country has been averaging at least 4,300 fatal large truck crashes, which results to about 5,000 deaths annually.
Now, the number is down to less than 4,000 with the number of fatalities also down to a little over 4,000.
However, that is still a significant amount of deaths related to large trucks.
And the curious thing about these fatal crashes is that majority of the victims are not occupants of the truck.
In fact in 2008, only 16 percent of all fatalities were truck occupants; the rest were either motorists or pedestrians.
If you were one of the motorists or pedestrians injured, or if a family member is killed in one, then you may have cause to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit with the help of a Los Angeles truck accident attorney against the driver and the trucking company.
Now, you may ask, why is the trucking company going to be held liable?
Well, through virtue of vicarious liability, they are responsible for the actions of their employees.
Besides, the insurance policy of the truck is most probably under the company’s name so the claim will really be filed against them.
That is why trucking companies have to be diligent in making sure that their trucks are safe not only for their drivers but the other people on the road as well.
Some of the negligent acts that trucking companies should avoid includes:
- Creating driver schedules that will result in violation of federal rules about driver’s travel and sleep time.
- Not enforcing safety protocols on the proper loading of cargo.
- Hiring drivers who lack experience, training and in some instances lack of commercial driver’s license.
- Failing to discipline drivers and employees who violate company and public policies such as driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Failing to provide safety devices on trucks that could prevent truck accidents or at least minimize damages from the crash.
- Failing to ensure that all trucks are well maintained.
The Mesriani Law Group has a team of expert and dedicated Los Angeles personal injury attorneys who have proven their mettle in handling various large truck accident cases.
For a free consultation, feel free to call us at our toll free number at (310) 826-6300 or send an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.