Most companies in the U.S. are required to provide workers’ compensation benefits to their employees in the event of an accident at work. Unfortunately, many workers are unaware of how to apply for such benefits. As a result, most of them are not able to obtain financial assistance from their employers. If you have this kind of problem, seek legal counsel from a Los Angeles worker compensation attorney.
When applying for workers’ compensation benefits, there are two things that you should consider:
- Where the injury happened – The place where you acquired the injury is crucial. If the accident took place while you were on duty, you may be eligible to obtain benefits from your employer.
- When the injury happened – After the accident, you will have several days to report the incident to your boss. Make sure you inform your boss about your injury within the statute of limitations for filing a workers’ compensation claim.
While these factors may be easy to comprehend, these points are in fact difficult to handle when applying for workers’ compensation. That is why you really need to obtain the legal services of a Los Angeles labor lawyer to make sure you obtain the benefits you deserve. You would not have to worry how to handle your claim because your attorney will do that for you.
The following are some federal and state laws that you may use in your application to make sure your employer provides your workers’ compensation benefits:
- Federal Employment Compensation Act (FECA)
- Merchant Marine Act (Jones Act)
- California Workers’ Compensation Act
- Federal Employment Liability Act (FELA)
With these laws, you may have better chances of obtaining financial assistance for the treatment of your injuries. If your employer still refused to provide the benefits, your Los Angeles workers’ compensation attorney can file a complaint with your state’s workers’ compensation board. With their help, you may be able to obtain a higher amount of benefits from your boss.
The trusted labor lawyers of Mesriani Law Group handle these kinds of cases. For over 15 years, our Los Angeles employment lawyer have managed to resolve similar claims and recover benefits for our clients. Call us at (310) 826-6300 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want us to work on your workers’ compensation application. With the help of a trusted employment attorney, recovering from the damages caused to you by the accident would be much easier.